Olivia S. Anderson, PhD, MPH, RD – Clinical Asst Professor, University of Michigan, School of Public Health, Nutritional Sciences Dept
Anna Sadovnikova, IBCLC, MA, MPH – CEO, LiquidGoldConcept
With the support of this ATMCH Innovative Teaching Award, collaborators designed an online case-based, asynchronous educational platform (on Canvas Commons) designed for repetitive practice in a safe, confidence-building virtual environment. Learners master topics in clinical lactation through a scaffolded, interactive approach in which contextualized multiple-choice questions are embedded into unfolding patient case scenarios to strengthen skills in diagnostic reasoning & patient management in preparation for 1:1 telesimulations with a standardized patient (SP). Because this course is in Canvas Commons, anyone can create a Canvas account (free of charge) & upload the entire course into their Canvas site.
Summary of Materials –
- Click HERE to link to the Canvas site. Alternatively, you can email Dr. Anderson (email@example.com). Learners can visit the following site https://canvas.instructure.com/register & use this join code: JBPJLT.
- Summary Report – Development & Innovation of the Lactation Support in a Telehealth Setting Course
- Example of Unfolding Case Scenario (1 of 6)
- Case 1 Formative Assessment Rubric from SP
- Case 2 Formative Assessment Rubric from SP
- Case 3 Formative Assessment Rubric from SP
- Summative Assessment Rubric
- Encounter Documentation after Telesimulation
Resultant Publications/Resources –
- Virtual Experiential Learning: A Description of an Internship Framework That Engages Students to Build Public Health Competencies
- The Efficacy of Hybrid Telesimulation with Standardized Patients in Teaching Medical Students Clinical Lactation Skills: A Pilot Study
- Breastfeeding: Public Health Perspectives Massive Open Online Course (MOOC)